Monday, April 2, 2007

Double Quarter-Marathon

Next up, the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon on April 29th. Formerly the Runner’s World Half Marathon, this one is supposed to be a lot of fun. I figured that having gotten to that distance this year despite the winter, I’d better keep it going. This weekend I ran a leisurely 11 miler, beneath vultures (Cathartes aura, if you must know).

I don’t follow the science of the half marathon, and I’ve only run a couple…now that I think of it, I’ve only run the same one twice. In any case, if the Running Authorities ever want this distance to come into its own, they’re going to have to think of a better name. How can a race be taken seriously if it’s always held up as half of something else?

I therefore propose that we call the 13.2 mile race the Rafina. That’s a small town about halfway between Marathon and Athens. The Classic Marathon passes through it. It seems like a nice enough place.

And I’ll tell you what, I bet Phidippides wished he’d done a Rafina instead.


No comments: